Nathan Campbell on the go for Red Sharks. Lincoln Crooks Photography.

Duhaney Park defeated the Jamaica Defence Force Warriors 30-4 to be crowned JRLA National Knock-Out Champions for 2018. It marks the third time in a row the club has held on to the trophy.

Played at the home ground of the Jamaica Defence Force, Up Park Camp, the Red Sharks took 15 minutes to open the scoring when game MVP Miguel Facey dotted down in the far left corner. The flood gates then opened with the champions crossing the white wash 5 more times before halftime through Marvin Thompson, Andrae McFarlane, Nathan Campbell, Peter Tapper and Facey with his second. The JDF could only respond with a lone penalty kick for 2 points.

The second half was a much different affair with the soldiers tightening their defence. Duhaney Park could only manage a solitary try from Captain Khamisi McKain, but the damage had already been done and the game won. JDF kicked a second penalty to end on 4 points.

Winning Captain Khamisi McKain is particularly pleased about his team’s defensive effort;
“With the 3rd title on the line our game plan was to prove our defence is the best in the competition. By keeping JDF try-less, we achieved our objective. Though we rushed some of our sets, when we finally settled, we showed why we are a cut above the rest. I always say winners win, and that’s why we are champions again.

Commenting on the biggest and most successful National Knock-out Cup to date, Director of Rugby Romeo Monteith commented;

“This competition has come a long way with a record 12 teams this year. It’s a firm fixture on our calendar and only needs the investment from Corporate Jamaica to become one of Jamaica’s premier and most exciting sporting spectacles.”

GC Foster won the 3rd place playoff against Spanish Town Vikings 40-12.

The Local club scene now switches focus to the National Division 2 competition that begins October 27 with 8 teams.

Video here

Photo credit, Lincoln Crooks of Sportsjamag. Photos here